An aromatic curry with simple fresh ingredients that come together to create wonderful exotic flavor.
- Cauliflower - 1 medium - cut into medium size florets
- Butternut Squash - 2 cups - cut into 1x1 inch cubes
- Green Peas (frozen/fresh) - 1 cup
- Red Onion - 1 small - sliced
- Curry Leaves - 6-8 - roughly chopped
- Olive oil - 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Hing / Asafoetida - 1/4th teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 3/4th teaspoon
- Red chili powder - 1 teaspoon / to taste
- Salt - to taste
- Coriander leaves - 1/4th cup - finely chopped
- Coconut (frozen/fresh) - 2 tablespoons
- Peanuts - 1/2 cup
- Garlic - 4 large cloves
- Ginger - 1 inch piece
- Green Chili - 1 (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a stock pot.
- Add the mustard seeds and let them splatter.
- Add cumin seeds and let them turn golden brown.
- Add asafoetida, turmeric powder and red chili powder. Mix gently.
- Add cauliflower, butternut squash and peas. Stir well.
- Add 3 cups of water, stir. Cover the pot and simmer till the vegetables are half cooked, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the curry paste and salt to taste. Stir well.
- You may add water little to adjust the consistency. The curry should not be too thick nor too watery. The coconut and peanuts in the curry paste give a nice creamy consistency.
- On low heat simmer the curry until all the vegetables are cooked. Do not overcook or they will turn mushy.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.