This Mock Chicken Salad / White Bean Salad is another family favorite in our home. I make this salad every weekend and use it in sandwiches or wraps for lunch. Every week, I use a different bean. My favorites are Garbanzo beans (chick peas), Navy beans and Cannellini beans (white kidney beans). This salad is very easy to make, very filling and stays well in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to 3-4 days.
- 2 cups / 15 oz. can - cooked white beans for your choice (I use organic Garbanzo beans (chick peas), Navy beans or Cannellini beans (white kidney beans)
- 2 medium - Organic Carrots - peeled and finely diced
- 2 sticks - Organic Celery - finely diced
- 1/2 small - Organic Red Onion - finely diced
- 1/2 cup - Vegan Mayonnaise (I use 'Vegenaise' / 'Just Mayo' brands. To learn more about vegan mayo, click here)
- 2 tablespoons - Nutritional Yeast Flakes (It is a source of protein and vitamins, especially the B-complex vitamins, and is a complete protein. It is also naturally low in fat and sodium and is free of sugar, dairy, and gluten. Sometimes nutritional yeast is fortified with vitamin B12. It's nutty, cheesy, creamy flavor makes it a great substitute for cheese.)
- Black pepper powder - 1/4 teaspoon / to taste
- Salt - to taste
- Place the cooked beans in a medium size mixing bowl. Mash the beans to a coarse texture with a potato masher or a fork.
- Add all the other ingredients to the mashed beans.
- Mix well.
- Use the Mock Chicken Salad on sandwiches, wraps or just on a bed of lettuce!
- Store the leftover salad (if you have any!) in the refrigerator in an air tight container.