Try this quick one dish meal when you are in a time crunch. The mushrooms, spinach, corn and rice come together so well, as if the combination was just meant to be! Great idea for the kids' lunch boxes or even for a weekend brunch :)
Serves - 4
- 1 cup - Basmati Rice
- 3/4th cup - Mushrooms - sliced
- 2 big handfuls - Baby Spinach - roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup - Kernel Corn
- 1 medium - Onion - chopped
- 1 inch - Cinnamon Stick
- 5-6 - Black Peppercorns
- 2 - Cloves
- 2 - Whole Green Cardamom
- 1 teaspoon - Garam Masala powder
- 2 tablespoons - Olive Oil
- Salt - to taste
- Wash the Basmati Rice 2-3 times under running water. Drain all the water and keep the washed rice aside for 30 minutes.
- In a non-stick or heavy base sauce pan heat the oil. Add the cinnamon stick, black pepper corns, cloves and cardamom.
- When the spices begin to splutter, add the chopped onions. Stir well and and cook till the onions are translucent and the raw smell is gone.
- Add the sliced mushrooms. Saute and cook till they change color, turn soft and shrink a little.
- Add the chopped spinach and kernel corn. Saute and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the Garam Masala and stir well.
- Add the washed Basmati rice and salt to taste.
- Add 2 cups water and stir well.
- Bring the water to a rolling boil.
- Turn the heat to low and cover the sauce pan. Cook the rice on low heat for 15 minutes. Do not open the lid while the rice is cooking.
- Turn off the heat after 15 minutes. Keep the lid on for another 5 minutes.
- Open the lid and fluff up the cooked rice with a fork. Serve hot!
Serves - 4